Sunday, January 9, 2011

update part duex

So when we last left our intrepid hero, mommy had just left and went back to the house, and he was left to manage everything, not a hard thing to do, or so he thought. In hindsight, I think mommy knew something was going to happen and she left on purpose. She would deny it, but I have my suspicions. Regardless of mommy's intentions, 15 minutes after she left the I.V. started to read "OCCLUDED!!", see very suspect. She only has one I.V (and it only works about 75% of the time), she had two when she came down to the floor, but that one got accidentally yanked out. We aren't sure who yanked it out but from what we understand he was bald, extremely handsome, and his name rhymed with Don, but that is another story for another time. So anyways, the line reads as occluded and the nurse comes in and says that she can see the kink in the I.V., but she isn't going to risk pulling it out to try and fix it. My daughter, after everything she has been through, is an extremely hard stick. Neither one of us is looking forward to, if we lose it, trying to find another usable vein. So, the nurse calls in the big guns. The U of M hospital has a specialized unit to deal with just I.V.'s, so the nures puts in the call and we wait. I get my daughter out of the bed and hold her because I am convinced that we are going to have stick her again, so I am going to baby her alittle. I get about an hour of cuddle time before the nurse shows up, not complaining about that. She takes a look at the I.V. and thinks she can fix it, GREAT!!, the only issue is now trying to get at it. See, giving a two year old an I.V. is hard enough, only slightly less hard is trying to make sure they don't play with this wonderful new toy. To do this, they have to wrap it and protect it and whoever put this I.V. in was, either,very protecting or felt my daughter's hand was catipillar and they were caccooning it for the butterfly. It took us about 15 minutes and some breath holding, but they were able to unwrap and unkink the line. It was such a relief when they had it all set and fixed and we were ready to put her back in bed. Little did I know that the fun had just started.
See after an hour of my daughter being held and cuddled, and then the screaming and crying she went through with the whole I.V. thing, my daughter was a little warm. When we laid her back down we noticed that the bandage on her chest tube, had come unstuck. Now. to give you an idea of what my daughter has been through, if you were to look at my daughter's chest, you would see a contolled mess. Right down the center, from her neck to almost the belly button is a stitched inscion and on either side of that are two, heavily bandaged chest tube sites. One site covers a single tube and the other covers two, so she has three chest tubes, for all you math majors out there :-). Of course it couldn't have been the one tube that came loose, it had to be the one with the two tubes. So we now have to lay this poor, tired, sore, child on the bed, open up her shirt and pull off the bandage the rest of the way. Needless to say she was not a happy camper and it took us another half an hour to get her put back together and asleep, trust me she had no problem falling asleep. I so wish that I could say the rest of the night went smoothly....
Unfortunatetly I can't because at 3am her I.V. started yelling, again. It had occluded, again. It wasn't a problem with the I.V. so much as the fact that my daughter is laying in a way that pinches it off. So we get her settled and asleep, the nurse leaves, and my head hits the pillow, and no sooner do I start to doze but the I.V. starts beeping again, sometimes I feel these machines have a mind of their own and they all hate me. It isn't paranoia if they really are out to get you, right? To put the cherry on the cake, this went on for a whole hour, until they finally decided to just shut it off and let us get some sleep. Oh what fun.
The next day was better, for the most part. Kylie is starting to look more and more like herself, as the day went on. At the end of the day she was laughing and smiling and talking. She finally pooped too, saving herself a suppository by mere hours. That may sound strange to you, but when the last time you have gone is 6 days ago and your belly is starting to get hard, that is sweet relief. We also got to take her for a walk, she walked on her own, and took her to play. The real sweet deal, though, is that we are going to loose a chest tube tommrow. The center one has so little draining coming out that we can pull it tommrow. This is great for a few reasons, one because, it is one step closer to getting her out of here and two, with this one out we can leave the floor and go walk around :-). If the center one was to come out, accidentally, it is the one that is most likely to bleed heavily, not that there is a high chance of it falling out, but they want to be able to keep an eye on it. They are paid to be paranoid. Oh and that I.V. that was giving us so much problems, it finally popped out and they gave us a new one that seems to be working good.
So tommrow, is going to be a busy day, but also a lazy day. We have the chest tube pullage, is that a word, but that is at 10am. They are going to sedate her for it, nothing heavy, but enough that she will sleep for quite a while. Also I have to go back to work tommrow for the next two days, so please pray for us that I travel home safe, that I do my job well, and that my daughter heals with out a hitch while I am gone, and also while I am here. I so cannot wait, till I bring them home with me.

2 comments:

  1. Ron, you always manage to write and retell of the day with such entertainment for the reader. Even in so much drama you have me smiling.

    Praying faithfully for Kylie's healing and a soon homecoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through Kristen...I cannot imagine what you are going through or your little princess!!! Will certainly keep Kylie is our prayers for her recovery....

    Hope you don't mind me posting!

    ReplyDelete